sense of charms
Investigators: Christy, Roger, Kendall, John, Debbie, Chris & Amanda
Equipment used: Hand held Sony video cameras, personal audio recorders, digital cameras, and various EMF meters
This residence is currently a business. After speaking to the business owners, they felt like they at least had the spirit of a man in their building but they were unsure and wanted some answers and evidence to see what could be documented and verified there. They in turn contacted OKPRI to come investigate the strange events and to see if we could document the strange things going on. After scheduling a date we headed out to this location.
Some of the current experiences in the home include:
A large cabinet fell over with Raggedy Ann doll and broke one of its doors off before they arrived at the shop one day.
Dolls get knocked off shelves all the time.
There are loud crashes and bangs upstairs but nothing is moved.
In the balloon room footsteps are heard and even the running footsteps of like a small child. They also hear walking upstairs.
Their kids who frequent the store with them are scared to go to the bathroom in the back and everyone who goes towards the back area is scared to go past playroom.
The CD player turns itself off and on, especially on before they arrive to open the shop.
Lights have been on when they come into the store even though they made sure the lights were off when they left.
One time the former owner’s daughter was hiding upstairs and she felt something tap her and she thought it was her brother but he was across the room. This same girl also saw a ghostly image in the store's computer screen.
Has woken up at night & not been able to move - has also been pushed, shoved & sat on while in bed (knows about sleep paralysis)
Certain parts of house feel creepy
Husband is worried it's going to hurt them
Client has had something around her since the 5th grade
Client is Wiccan & so is her daughter - She says she is careful with her circle but daughter has not always been so careful
Client was home alone & thought she saw her son walk through the house. A while later he came home & she realized it wasn't him.
There have been no deaths in this home.
Before Oklahoma became a state in 1907, the area where Shawnee sits was an established territory. On March 18, 1895, the Choctaw Oklahoma Gulf Railroad Company, under the director of John McLoud, sold the property to Daniel P. Page. The Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad (CO&G), known informally as the "Choctaw Route," was an American railroad located in located in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. The company, originally known as the Choctaw Coal and Railway Company, completed its main line
between Memphis, Tennessee, and western Oklahoma by 1900. In 1901 the CO&G chartered a subsidiary company, the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Texas Railroad, to continue construction west into the Texas panhandle, and by 1902 the railroad had extended as far west as Amarillo.
The CO&G came under the control of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad (the "Rock Island") in 1902, and it was formally merged into the Rock Island on January 1, 1948. The Memphis-Amarillo route remained an important main line for the Rock Island, hosting local and transcontinental freight traffic as well as passenger trains such as the Choctaw Rocket. Substantial portions of the former Choctaw Route were abandoned after the Rock Island was dissolved in 1980. Other segments of the former CO&G, however, remain in use by the Union Pacific Railroad and various short lines.
Mr. Page owned the property for around 2 years until April 2, 1897 when he sold one half of it to Max Herskowitz and the other half to G.M. Steel for $1500.00 a piece. Max was born on July 29, 1850 in Hungary. He and his wife, Hermione and their family traveled to the United States from Hamburg, Germany prior to 1978, and settled in New York where they had their first son, Emanuel. Over the years they ended up moving to Ohio and had a total of 11 children. The family eventually moved to Oklahoma City and Max became a well-known real estate businessman. Max had a building built shortly after he purchased the property somewhere in between 1897 and 1901and opened up a dry goods store called, “The Aurora Store” in which he had their oldest son Emmanuel manage, since Emmanuel lived in Shawnee at the time. Emmanuel also managed various hotels in Shawnee as well and had turned out to be a good businessman like his father.
After Max’s death on August 22, 1911, his family took over the property and business and it stayed in the family until it was sold in 1945. The Herskowitz family owned the land and building for 48 years. Next is the list of business this location has been.
1897-1911 – The Aurora Store (Dry Goods) - Still owned by the Herskowitz
1912-1923 – The Dixie Store (Dry Goods) – Still owned by the Herskowitz but leased out.
1924-1925 - No record of business but still owned by the Herskowitz
1925-1930 – The E.H. Francis Company (Dry Goods) - Still owned by the Herskowitz but leased out.
1930-1938 – Newark Shoe Store (Shoe Store) - Still owned by the Herskowitz but leased out.
1939-1944 – Cannon Shoe Store (Shoe Store) - Still owned by the Herskowitz but leased out.
1945 – The property and building was sold from the Herskowitz Estate to Felice Gold of California for $38,000. Felice Gold rented the property out to local tenants.
1945-1970 – Arden’s Dress Shop (Dress Store) The building still owned by Felice Gold but leased out.
1970 – The property and building was sold again from Felice Gold to Neil Satterfield and Alvin Squires.
1977, Satterfield and Squires joined to create Satterfield and Squires Building Corporation. It remained Arden’s Dress Shop
1971-1980 – Shoe Land (Shoe store) The building still owned by Satterfield and Squires but leased out.
1981-1983 – The Shoe Rack (Shoe Store) The building still owned by Satterfield and Squires but leased out.
1983-1985 – The Shoe Salon (Shoe Store)
1985–2000 –Satterfield and Squires sold the building to Lloyd Penson who also leased out the building to tenants.
1986- 1991– Art Works (Art Store) The building still owned by Lloyd Penson but leased out.
1992 - Vacant - The building still owned by Lloyd Penson
1993-1995 – House of Health Organic Store - The building still owned by Lloyd Penson but leased out
1996-1997 – The Angel’s Attic (Retail Gift Shop) The building still owned by Lloyd Penson but leased out
2000 – The property and building was again sold by Lloyd Penson to Michael and Joni Little
1998-2001 – Two Old Crows (or Crown) (Hobby & Toy Shop) The building still owned by Michael and Joni Little and leased out
2001-2006 – Quintessence Curious Goods & Gift Shop – Business owned and operator by owners, Michael and Joni Little.
2006 – Sold from Michael and Joni Little to current owners
2006-Present – Sense of Charms (Gift Shop)
There were 20 EVPs that was recorded during this investigation and 1 sound clips.
There were no positive photos and 1 video clips